WITH AMTC (Air Medical Transport Conference) SOON AT HAND – I SIMPLY HAD TO RE-POST THIS 2018 BLOG
I am departing the “Air Medical Transport” industry – but as I am doing so – I will publish a couple more blogs. For those still involved in Air Medical – that crave to innovate and lead – this may provide some insights.
AFTER 2019 AMTC – JUST IMAGINE A LITTLE FUTURE FORWARD
Your flight program invested huge amounts of hard-to-earn-dollars to enable some staff to go to AMTC. While there – your staff participated in a wide array of educational sessions – they gathered information about services and products at the Exhibit Hall – they picked up real-time market space intelligence through interactions with peers, suppliers, Subject Matter Experts and competitors – they never partied or consumed adult beverages and they will be returning to work – many inspired – enthused – and overwhelmed.
KEY: Only at leading-edge professional development learning encounters like AMTC (and most other medical association annual meetings) is CRITICAL NEW KNOWLEDGE made available to a select few able to attend even if this is a hybrid event.
It really is CRITICAL that this Critical New Knowledge gets communicated, applied and innovated. But what so often happens is; individuals attending get back to work, become overwhelmed with “fire-fighting”, catching up (when they were already behind when they left for AMTC) and – before they know it – what was learned does not get shared, applied and innovated with their peers or their customers who did not have the ability to access the Critical New Knowledge. Has this ever been you?
Does this even matter? Who cares? Just a small percent – I know.
Yet – we must continue the battle to implement Critical New Knowledge because – it truly can have a positive and durable impact. And – in the end, some patients and their loved ones will be able to experience positive outcomes and maybe even keep their dreams alive. So…
WHAT SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES HAVE YOU SET UP TO BE SURE THAT;
- Critical New Knowledge learned at AMTC is organized, curated, configured and communicated to all of your leadership and staff that could not attend
- Critical New Knowledge learned at AMTC is organized, curated, configured and communicated to your customers and strategic partners
- You are sure that you are attaining a very high ROI (Return on Investment) for having sent staff to AMTC
- ABOVE ALL – YOUR INVESTMENT – ULTIMATELY – WILL DO WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL FOR ATTENDING AMTC; BENEFIT YOUR CUSTOMERS THAT MAKE FLIGHT REQUESTS AND BENEFIT THEIR PATIENTS WITH WHOM YOU ARE ENTRUSTED
YOU HAVE A PLAN & AMTC CRITICAL NEW KNOWLEDGE IMPLEMENTATION SYSTEM – RIGHT?
YOU’RE NOT GOING TO LET ALL THAT CRITICAL NEW KNOWLEDGE SIMPLY SIMMER WITHIN THE MINDS, EMOTIONAL CENTERS AND CEUs OF THOSE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE ATTENDED (OR PRESENTED) AT AMTC – RIGHT?
YOU ARE GOING TO BE SURE THIS NEW AMTC ACQUIRED KNOWLEDGE GETS PUT INTO ACTION FOR POSITIVE IMPACT – RIGHT?
ESTABLISH EXPECTATIONS, OBJECTIVES, OUTCOMES & SET ASSIGNMENTS LONG BEFORE STAFF ATTEND AMTC
In 2008 (has it really been eleven years ago) we surveyed our industry to learn about how flight programs were setting expectations for information and intelligence capturing and distribution related to AMTC.
Of 165 respondents – largely in leadership and education functions at flight programs throughout the USA – key findings revealed;
- For those attending AMTC, my organization clarifies objectives and outcomes to be achieved in advance; 28%YES – 72% NO
- My employer has a formal system in place to evaluate and measure whether or not attendee objectives and outcomes are achieved for attending AMTC; 12% YES – 88% NO
- Those attending AMTC are required to provide my employer/co-workers with a summary, formal report(s) or presentation(s) of what was learned; 46% YES – 54% NO
- My flight program provides our customers and the communities we serve with a consolidated presentation (and/or content-specific presentations) of what was learned at AMTC; 7% YES – 93% NO
If you were to ask these four questions of your flight program circa November 2019 – how would you compare?
Especially if you are a Program Director or in charge of systems and methods for astonishing customers, earning their indefatigable trust and stimulating flight requests; do these questions matter to you?
More than a party or dinners – what is your Operator doing to help you and your team to optimize Critical New Knowledge that was conveyed at 2019 AMTC?
NOTE: even though many associations provide post-event PowerPoints to be accessed or full-length videos – few ever view these. They are better than nothing – but not methods for truly effective and compelling learning like CIL ™.
NO FLIGHT REQUESTS = NO FLIGHTS = NO REVENUE = NO FLIGHT PROGRAM
When high investments are made to send staff to AMTC to learn, discover and/ or present – does it make sense to be certain that Critical New Knowledge captured – is organized, curated, configured and communicated with all staff and all customers. WHY? The aspiration and justification is to get better by applying Critical New Knowledge and to help set up your flight program and its stakeholders for success – for them to get better – so that – at the end of each shift;
- The Critical New Knowledge paid for at AMTC results in being safer.
- The Critical New Knowledge paid for at AMTC results in providing each individual trusting in you with a higher probability of a positive outcome – greater than before AMTC.
- ALL OF THIS RESULTS IN A HIGHER PROBABILITY OF EARNING AND STIMULATING INDEFATIGABLE CUSTOMER TRUST AND SUFFICIENT FLIGHT REQUESTS FOR THE PROGRAM TO SURVIVE AND GROW.
- “I’m counting on you.” You never let her and her loved ones down.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF TOOLS & YOUR ASSOCIATION SUPPORT TO EARN & STIMULATE FLIGHT REQUESTS AFTER AMTC
A few flight programs may already have in place well-structured and sophisticated learning eco-systems to assure that they are organizing, configuring, communicating and applying Critical New Knowledge acquired at 2019 AMTC during November and December and throughout 2020.
Hopefully soon after 2019 AMTC – AAMS (Association of Air Medical Services) will be making available professionally-edited “Key Points of Each Session” videos (with graphic-inserts and sponsor logos/links), transcripts and curated-on-line learning with knowledge and application assessments to;
- Help assure members can readily access and apply the Critical New Knowledge shared at the event
- Gain CEUs for those who could not attend
- Promote sponsors and connect them through these learning mediums with their AMTC targets so that they attain continuing and amplified ROI for their commitments to AMTC
In today’s professional association event world – savvy sponsors/exhibitors expect this. And savvy sponsors know that Content Marketing [education without high-pressure selling] works as a follow-up to leads or to create new ones with AMTC attendees with whom they may not have connected during the event.
Such “Best in Class Practices” will enable Critical New Knowledge to be shared with your external customers too as part of your Outreach to earn and stimulate flight requests.
If – for instance, AAMS is not activating all of the above already for 2019 – then I urge members and sponsors/exhibitors to work together with the association to have all of this in place for 2020 AMTC.
LAUNCH YOUR OUTREACH ROAD SHOW
I do hope you are offering to your customers a place-based or hybrid; “What We Learned at 2019 AMTC Outreach Road Show” with on-line support. You must get this Critical New Knowledge to your customers! That’s the entire purpose of your Outreach. Plus – this will provide your flight program with a high-worth-competitive-sledge if your rivals are not leading in communicating this crucial knowledge.
(CocaCola Road Show Vehicle as an example for your Outreach Road Show)
If you don’t have an awesome dedicated Outreach vehicle – use what you can or do a “Best of 2019 AMTC Outreach Pop-Up“… many innovative businesses and brands are effective at Pop-Up Events – so just use this platform for your Outreach. Make it fun and engaging! If you’ve been a ThinkThroughTools or OutreachU client – remember to apply the EVERlasting Protocol ™
This link provides some tips on Pop-Up Events.
NOTE: Leading Professional Associations like PCMA (Professional Convention Management Association) https://www.pcma.org/
pioneered capture (real-time-video-streaming & video-recording) and sharing of meeting content with members. They are leaders in hybrid meetings (which are now considered standard practice for professional associations.)
I’d strongly urge learning about how PCMA value amplifies member and sponsor ROI through content conveyed during and after their educational events. You can do the same for your Outreach events.
BOTTOM ECG – BE THE RESOURCE
As I have advocated in healthcare for more than 40 years – BE THE RESOURCE! Your effective Outreach earns you the position in the minds and emotional centers of customers and community as THE DEFACTO RESOURCE OF CHOICE… be the resource.
THE BOOK OF OUTREACH CAN HELP
If you believe you and your flight program might desire to take advantage of some know-how so that you are making the most of Critical New Knowledge – especially to share with staff and your customers – this will be covered in The Book of Outreach for Healthcare; How to Understand & Astonish the Right Customers Consistently.
“Be sure to check out the special section in The Book of Outreach about Continuous Impact Learning (CIL™)!
This leading-edge learning platform engages attendees, Subject Matter Experts, Sponsors and meeting planners (and offers more CEUs) BEFORE – DURING & AFTER all professional education and Outreach encounters (place-based, digital and hybrid.)”
To reserve a copy and be first to be notified when The Book of Outreach goes live – e.mail rich@OutreachU.com
This article is sponsored by Jet A cologne – The scent that won’t relent ™